Thursday, June 2, 2011

Historical novels

As summer approaches,
I'm always on the hunt for a good read.
(Sitting out in the sun just isn't the same without a page turner!)

When I think about it,
nearly all of my favorite books in recent memory
have to do with World War II.

I've always found this era interesting
(probably since there's truth to the tales & because my grandparents lived it).
Even if you aren't a history buff,
these 3 stories are sure to hold your interest:

Sarah's Key
(full of suspenseful twists - a French take on the Nazi's)


City of Thieves
(an exciting, often funny, coming of age tale - from the Russian perspective)


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
(a story of new friendship and a little romance - by way of England)


What are your favorite historical novels??

P.S.
If we're talking historical era's,
I cannot leave this post without mentioning another non-WWII fave:
I read this one high school summer after getting my wisdom teeth yanked.
(I was partly curious why my Grandma said I reminded her of Scarlett O'Hara.
She's a little spitfire if you ask me.  What was my G'ma trying to say about me?! ;)
Regardless, this book makes me want to run straight to "Tara",
throw on a corset, and fashion a dress out of my drapes!
(I dare you to read this book and resist speaking in a Southern accent for days after.)
"Oh, Rhett!  Oh, Ashley!"

~Images via Amazon.com~

No comments:

Post a Comment