Thursday, March 15, 2012

Are you as busy as you think?

As someone who is no stranger to being busy,
I admit that I have said "I don't have time" on more than one occasion...

"I don't have time to clean my car."
"I'm too busy to get that outstanding paperwork taken care of, mole checked out, mess picked up", etc.


However, after reading this fascinating article,
I have a different perspective on "time".
The last paragraph particularly struck me...

Change your language. Instead of saying "I don't have time" try saying "it's not a priority," and see how that feels. Often, that's a perfectly adequate explanation. I have time to iron my sheets, I just don't want to. But other things are harder. Try it: "I'm not going to edit your résumé, sweetie, because it's not a priority." "I don't go to the doctor because my health is not a priority." If these phrases don't sit well, that's the point. Changing our language reminds us that time is a choice. If we don't like how we're spending an hour, we can choose differently.

Eye-opener, eh?
As I prepare to enter mommyhood and eventually re-enter the workforce,
I know  I will be tempted to say "I don't have time."

It just better not be when my son wants to read a book,
or my husband wants to go on a date,
or when I see a long-distance relative's name appear on an "incoming call"...

I hope I will be wise enough to evaluate my priorities and make time for what, and more importantly, who are important.
For one thing we are not guaranteed in life is time.


In the meantime, some things I'd currently  like to "make time" for include:

- reflecting on how wonderful it is to be pregnant
- deep spring cleaning
- relaxing and enjoying my last few days of solitude and relaxation
(this includes date nights with the huzz!)
- making sure I go to church every Sunday
- keeping in touch with my family and friends



What are you going to strive to "make more time" for in your busy lives?

~image via wall street journal & pinterest x 3~

No comments:

Post a Comment