Monday, September 10, 2012

Wax on, wax off.

My husband goes to a farmers' market near his work every Wednesday.
Isn't that awesome?!  Kudos to you, Milwaukee.
He usually brings home a gorgeous bouquet,


but the other week he texted me to tell me how much a co-worker was raving about
   WAX BEANS.   

At first, I was like, ummmm okay??
When I think of yellow wax beans, I think of the canned mushy stuff that was served in the "bean medley" side dish at hot lunch during my grade school days.  Ick.
But I do love me some fresh beans, so I said, sure bring some home.

They were indeed delicious!
And a stunning yellow color that faded to a celadon green at the tips.


As with any fresh summery produce,
all you basically need to do is slice and salt and they will taste out-of-this-world.
So I simply trimmed them,
then sauteed them in a little bit of butter.
Seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Topped with scallions for a little extra punch.


An amazing, simple side dish!
The preparation would also surely be tasty with fresh green or fava beans, too.


Enjoy!

P.S.  I made this Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf last week.
It was AWESOME.


Pair it with mashed potatoes OR  a side of pasta for a hearty meal.
(Even with the above wax beans!!!)
And it can be made ahead and stored in the freezer!


~pics by b / last image via what's cooking chicago~

No comments:

Post a Comment