Thursday, April 14, 2011

Oatmeal cookies


I keep telling myself this today for 2 reasons, aside from obviously being true ;) :

1.  I'm attempting to stay confident for my big presentation in class today.

2.  I made these delicious morsels last weekend:


Alex's favorite cookie is oatmeal raisin.  Yes, no chocolate chip or PB for this one.  Weird, I know.  But I've grown to kinda love them myself.
Anyway, he was busy sorting his medical "bills" and it was looking overwhelming and like no fun (at least to me).  Plus, I was literally having palpitations, wondering and worrying about what would happen if something like this happened to those I love who are unfortunately uninsured.  But that is a tangent for another day.

Woof.  (One should earn frequent flyer miles in the CT scanner.)

 I decided to secretly make Alex one of his favorite treats while he was hard at work.
Lo and behold, I was fresh out of raisins.
So I made the following adaptations to my go-to oatmeal cookie recipe
(which I think may have been for the better!)...

  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 3/4 c packed brown sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 c old-fashioned oats (not quick-cooking)
  • 3/4 c AP flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon (make it heaping, everyone loves a little cinnamon)
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 c chopped walnuts (preferably toasted)
  • 1/3 c chopped banana chips
  • 1/3 c currants OR mini chocolate chips  (the later would have been the ideal addition in my mind)
  • (Note: the goal is to have 1 cup of mix-ins, but you can achieve this in any combo you chose)

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, with wooden spoon or electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy (about 1 minute).  Add egg and mix until thoroughly incorporated.  Add oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  Mix until just blended.  Add nuts, banana chips, and currants/mini choc chips and stir until just incorporated.  Drop batter by heaping tablespoon 1 1/2 inches apart onto cookie sheet with parchment paper or that has been greased.  Bake approximately 10-13 minutes or until golden brown.  Cookies will feel soft but will firm up as they cool.  Let stand on baking sheet 2 minutes before transferring to rack to cool.  (Since there are only two of us, this is a halved recipe that makes about 15-20 cookies.  I do this often so we won't be "forced" to eat 20+ cookies each.  If you were creating for a family or a gathering (or just feel like being a fatty), go ahead and double the above recipe.)

Enjoy!  ~ xo


No comments:

Post a Comment