Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Reading radar

Looking forward to hunkering down and reading for fun...SOON!
For instance, how hilarious is this excerpt (about best friends' rights and responsibilities) from Mindy Kaling's book of essays...
(For those of you who don't know, she plays "Kelly" on The Office.)


I CAN BORROW ALL YOUR CLOTHES
Anything in your closet, no matter how fancy, is co-owned by me, your best friend. I can borrow it for as long as I want. If I get something on it or lose it, I should make all good faith attempts to get it cleaned or buy you a new one, but I don’t need to do that, and you still have to love me. If I ruin something of yours and don’t replace it, you’re allowed to talk shit about me to our other friends for a calendar year. That’s it. Then you have to get over it. One stipulation to borrowing your clothes is that you have to have worn the item at least once before I borrow it. I’m not a monster.
I MUST BE 100% HONEST ABOUT HOW YOU LOOK, BUT GENTLE
Your boyfriend is never going to tell you that your skirt is too tight and riding up too high on you. In fact, you shouldn’t have even asked him, poor guy. He wants to have sex with you no matter how pudgy you are. I am the only person besides your mom who has the right (and responsibility) of telling you that. I should never be overly harsh when something doesn’t look good on you, because I know you are fragile about this and so am I. I will employ the gentle, vague expression, “I’m not crazy about that on you,” which should mean to you: “Holy shit, take that off, that looks terrible.” I owe it to you to give feedback like a cattle prod: painful but quick.

I WILL TRY TO LIKE YOUR BOYFRIEND FIVE TIMES
This is a fair number of times to hang out with your boyfriend and withhold judgment.

I WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR KID IF YOU DIE
I can’t even write about this, it’s too sad. But yes, I will do that. And you will have one awesome little kid who hears endless stories about how amazing and beautiful and perfect you were. Incidentally, your kid will grow up loving Indian food.


Haha!


Currently reading this before bed (so far, so good!):


With breaks for the following:



P.S.  How terrible is the "What to Expect..." cover?
Could that lady look any more miserable?
I don't think so.
She must be reading those nasty back chapters about all the horrendous things that could go wrong in pregnancy.  Either that, or she hates her Baby Daddy.

Regardless of her beef,
I'm looking forward to mornings or evenings that look like this:


What books are you currently curled up with?
Be sure to send the rec's my way!

~images via Amazon & polyvore~

No comments:

Post a Comment