Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Girl and the Goat


Ok, here's the skinny on this highly coveted Chicago restaurant spot.
Located in the West Loop in the Randolph Restaurant Corridor. 
Top Chef winner Stephanie Izard.
Not sure if you remember, but she beat Richard Blais...
who just won Top Chef All-Stars.
Boom.


I attempted to book reservations (at the "three months out" allotted time)
on Open Table for our anniversary to no avail.
I then, on a whim, attempted to see what was available around my birthday.
Tuesday at 4:45pm, the day after, is what we got.
But I shun that reservation not!

Inside, the place looks like something out of a Restoration Hardware catalog.
Background music included the likes of Tom Petty and MGMT.


The menu is divided into three categories:
Vegetable, Fish, Meat.
They're known for their adventurous side,
(Read:  pig's face and skewered lamb heart)
but even a vegan could find something delectable to nosh on here.

Plates are on the smaller side and are meant to be shared.
I groove on this philosophy because it means I get to sample more grub.
And sharing is caring.
However, a party of 3 or 4 is ideal for this type of feasting,
in my opinion (not to mention easier on the wallet).
Even though the hubbs and I can pack away a fair amount of food,
you always leave wishing you got to try such-and-such.
(I'm lookin' at you, Publican pork rinds!)

A variety of craft beers, cocktails, and wine are also highlighted, 
in addition to creative, baked-fresh-daily bread concoctions.

We arrived, to my surprise, to be greeted with a big "Happy Birthday"
and were whisked away to the best seat in the house...


...a two-top facing right into the kitchen!
We're talking up close and personal.



First name basis with all the chefs.  Yeeeeaaah buddy.
With Ms.  Izard standing immediately to our right,
overseeing every dish before it came out.


Perfection.

After much Yelp research, here's what we went with...

roasted cauliflower . pickled peppers . pine nuts . mint
chickpeas fritters . eggplant-tomatillo caponata . crave brother's mozzarella
pan roasted wild striped bass . brandade . heirlooms . sea beans . truffle-poblano vinaigrette
grilled pork ribs . tomatillo-mushroom slaw . grilled scallion vinaigrette
kalbi style beef ribs . corn coblettes . charred okra
wood fired walter's chicken . yuzu harissa . fried pickles . kohlrabi . grilled naan
"not campbell's": broccoli cheddar bread with mushroom soup butter and tomato soup aioli
chocolate bouchon with chocolate gelato and goosberries




Everything was honestly SO GOOD.  Pork ribs possibly my favorite?
Best meal I've had in a long time. 
And the dining experience was like none other!
And the beef ribs were complimentary from hangin' with the chefs all night.
Score!


Not sure how we lucked out? But I'm sure glad we did.
Some cool dudes - shootin' the shit & giving us the scoop on cooking techniques.
I'm pretty sure I could now re-create the cauliflower dish.
If I had another stomach (or two), I would have loved to try more!
(Namely, the green beans, squash blossom rangoon,
soft shell crab, goat belly,and pork fat fried doughnuts.)
Perhaps another time.

Sorry I didn't snap more pics...
I was busy having TOO. MUCH. FUN.
:)

If you're in the Chi, you gotta give this one a try.
Definitely worth the wait!

~Photos via Girl and the Goat and by b~

No comments:

Post a Comment