Monday, August 29, 2011

Birthday in review

This card, by Kara, really set the tone of the evening.
(Great photo shop of me and the Girls.  Circa my 26th b-day.
Still looks about right.)


Which brings us to the soundtrack for remainder of the post:
(The show started in 1982, so it fits the theme in so many ways.)


Alex and Matt picked out beautiful "golden" flowers to decorate the crib:


I got to rock this fun, fitting, gold wristlet from my MIL for the occasion:


Nail color = Dim Sum Plum by OPI:


We then moved things d-town to the Chicago Marriott Mag Mile
home to many festive occasions in my life,
(read: bachelorette party and Alex's 30th)
with sweet vistas of the skyline and lake,


complete with "golden" decor that also made it's way to The Southern. :)
Here is my favorite birthday present, by the way...


We then hit up Piece Pizza
where we watched the Brewers kick the Cubs ass,
and ate scrumptious pizza pies and downed pitchers of cold beer...
my favorite being the white pizza with chicken-bacon-fresh tomatoes.
Bacon + Pizza = To die.

Then we moved down the street and took over the rooftop deck of The Southern.
Weather was perfect with a cool breeze, and the drinks kept a-comin'.
It was SO GREAT to see family and friends from college and work!
One more round of "Happy Birthday" was sung
with these delicious homemade cupcakes to follow:


"Better Than Sex" Cupcakes...
Quick recipe:
Bake up your favorite boxed mix of chocolate cupcakes.  (I dig Devil's Food or Dark Chocolate.  I then substitute leftover cooled coffee for the water, and add chocolate and vanilla extracts to the batter.)

Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then poke holes in the tops of the cupcakes with a wooden skewer.  Microwave one can of sweetened condensed milk along with 3 scoops of caramel sauce for 30 seconds.  Spoon over cupcakes.  Twice.  (This makes these babies uber moist and delicious!)  Top with chopped toffee bits.

Make your favorite vanilla buttercream, then stir in two more scoops of caramel sauce, and frost away.
Voila!
You've got chocolate caramel cupcakes,
topped caramel buttercream, toffee and chocolate sprinkles.  YUM!


Thanks to everyone for coming out to help me celebrate,
for the thoughtful and amazing gifts,
but even more for your gift of friendship over the years!

And a HUGE thank you to my very best friend
for throwing me such a fantastic party.


Love you so stinkin' much.

Cheers to my next 29th birthday!
(Because I'm never getting any older than this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment